The i-THRIVE Grids are paper-based decision aids co-produced with young people, parents, and mental health professionals. The grids were funded by a Health Foundation ‘Innovating for Improvement’ grant. They have since been introduced in the North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) as part of the i-THRIVE Scaling Up Improvement Project, also funded by the Health Foundation. These tools can be used with a young person, a parent, and a mental health professional to facilitate conversation around treatment or care. To date, eight one-page grids have been developed covering low mood, self-harm, ADHD, and generalised anxiety. Five of the grids have received endorsement from NICE as of June 2018.
Further details about the history of this project can be found here.
Using i-THRIVE Grids to Improve Shared Decision Making i-THRIVE Academy Module
The i-THRIVE Grids Academy Module was developed by Rosa Town, Research Officer for i-THRIVE Grids, in collaboration with the National i-THRIVE Programme team and the i-THRIVE Scaling Up team in NELFT, to train mental health professionals to use the i-THRIVE Grids in their practice. Entitled ‘Using i-THRIVE Grids to Improve Shared Decision Making’, the training includes:
- An overview of the concept of shared decision making
- A recap of the THRIVE Framework for system change (Wolpert et al., 2019) and i-THRIVE
- An introduction to the i-THRIVE Grids
- Skills development activities to practice using the i-THRIVE Grids
- Accreditation to use the i-THRIVE Grids
This training was successfully piloted with mental health practitioners in the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust and NELFT from February to May 2018. Costings for delivery can be found in section 4 here.
Expressions of Interest:
A limited number of training sessions are available to be commissioned by services seeking to focus on their shared decision making. If you would like to receive the training please fill out the expressions of interest form below:
NICE Endorsement Statements
- Self Harm: Support in the NHS
- Low Mood: Help or Support in and out of NHS
- ADHD: Help or Support in and out of NHS
- Developing and piloting i-THRIVE Grids
- Using i-THRIVE Grids to improve shared decision making: i-THRIVE Academy Module pilot evaluation
- Theory and behaviour change techniques (BCTs) for SDM interventions in child and youth mental health
- Understanding the most important treatment FAQs for young people with ADHD
Contact the project team
To find out more about the i-THRIVE Grids project and how to gain accreditation to use the i-THRIVE Grids, please contact Bethan Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.